Tuesday 26 May 2009

Day 12 Fort Augustus to Lairg

Today's route Fort Augustus to Invermoriston via Loch Ness,Beauly ,Dingwall, Bonar Bridge andfinish at Lairg. Lovely blue skies...followed the road along the side of Loch Ness, until reached Urquhart Castle, took some pics, then turned inland over the tops to Beauly, this was the bit I had not been looking forward to all the trip , when I'd plotted the route this bit of themap showed chevrons on the road, indicating "steep" hill, I didnt know from the map how steep and how long, when I turned the corner it was staring in my face 15% for 3/4 of a mile.Got stuck into it, out of the saddle, my calves felt like they were gonna explode, I nearly gave up and got off and walked, but kept at it and eventually reached the top,just as I did 2 RAF jets flew low over me, saluting me getting to the top!! The next 6 miles were nearly all downhill, and I reached a top speed off 38.8 mph. Onto Beauly then Dingwall, and once again a climb this time long and gradual, the views from the top were magnificent, quite breathtaking. Then downhill including a 12% .Then onto Bonar Bridge and finally our destination of Lairg, it then rained for the last mile, so I still got wet despite a full day of sunshine!

elapsed distance 78.42
elapsed time 5:50:48
avg 13.4

No comments:

Post a Comment